Hot Tools for Beauty

There are a large number of different hot tools used in the beauty industry. Here, I’ve tried to describe many of them and provide some of my impressions using these products.

• Curlformers

Curlformers

Curlformers are nylon plastic curl tubes used to create curls without using an actual curling tool. Curling tools are hot and can be difficult to use. These Curlformers avoid those problems. They come with plastic curled tubes that have a plastic stick with a hook at the end. The idea is to use a small section of hair, about an inch in width and length. I can’t recommend Curlformers; rather I’d stick with regular heating tools. The tutorial videos that I saw demonstrating these Curlformers don’t leave the hair with beautiful curls. Rather, each subsection leaves a crease which is not very flattering. A regular curling iron or wand may require more skill to use, but they produce a better result.

• Air Curler

Air Curler

The Air Curler is a bucket-like tool that attaches to a home air dryer. It comes with a bucket-like device that attaches to the business end of the hair dryer with a cone shaped attachment. There’s a rubberband that can be used on the hair dryer to bulk it up if the hair dryer is too small. To use, you put your hair in the bucket attachment, turn on the hair dryer, and the device spins your hair in circles reminiscent of how a cotton candy machine works. In the tutorials I’ve seen, the device isn’t recommended for dry and damaged hair—it will just begin to tangle and leave the hair feeling drier. But for less damaged hair, it creates somewhat elegant effortless-looking curls. However, in my opinion, I’d still recommend a curling iron over this product. Air Curler doesn’t give even-looking curls or curls with volume. My guess is that it generally won’t work as well as you were hoping when you bought it.

• Instyler

Instyler

The Instyler is designed to both straighten or curl your hair depending on your desired look. It looks more like fancy straightener that spins. The circular side—that either curls or straightens—has the heat. The other side has bristles. According to the tutorial, it is designed to be used on damp hair. It is actually pretty impressive when used just to straighten the hair, leaving it super straight and shiny. However, I wouldn’t personally recommend using this device to curl. I don’t like the curls it produces. I think it’s best just to use it for straightening hair, where it does a good job.

• Wonder Wax

Wonder Wax

Wonder Wax is similar to the green wax we use at Cinta Aveda. The wax is purple and comes in a cup along with three spatula sticks and some wipes that help remove the debris left over when the wax is peeled off. The wax needs to be heated in the microwave for three minutes to get a honey-like consistency. Like other waxes, it will not rip off all hair if peeled improperly—the wax needs to be set correctly with the direction of the hair. I recommend just to continue shaving unless its some kind of special occasion. Personally, I’m not going to use this Wonder Wax.

• No! No! System

No! No!

No! No! is a laser hair removal device that you use at home. It comes with the hair removal device itself together with a buffer pad that is necessary to use after using the laser. This device doesn’t completely remove all of the hair. When used, one can feel some heat. The device is quite pricey. Some of the reviews I read said that it gives off a burning hair smell. It needs to be angled correctly at 90 degrees, and it has a blue light that comes on to let you know it’s working. But even when used correctly, it still doesn’t leave the skin completely hairless. It does irritate the skin and leaves it reddened. My recommendation would be to skip this device and use more traditional methods of hair removal like shaving or professional waxing.

• Ultimate Detangling Brush

Ultimate Detangling Brush

The Ultimate Detangling Brush was designed to painlessly detangle hair. The brush, with a handle, is large and round; the bristles are made of plastic. The bristles are formed into a uniform circular pattern which, I assume, helps get rid of the tangles. From the reviews I saw, it does seem to do its main job of detangling the hair easily and without pain. If you have clumps of tangled hair, it’s better to finger comb the crazy tangles and then use the detangling brush to get the smaller tangles out. While I wouldn’t necessarily purchase this brush, I can see why others, especially those with bleach-damaged thin hair, would like it.

• Tulip Instyler

Tulip Instyler

The Tulip Instyler is designed to create perfect curls. This device sucks the hair up into its barrel and creates a curl in seconds. The device has a hole that allows only a certain amount of hair to get sucked into the barrel. This prevents tangling and makes sure that the right amount of hair gets sucked into the device. It has a built in guard to prevent any type of scalp or hand burning. Finally, there’s a built-in timer that beeps to let you know that the curl is ready.

This device works really well with no problems or confusion for those that have difficulty with other curling devices. My only problem with this device is that it creates one specific curl that looks very uniform. Playing with the curled hair after curling the whole head with this device would give you the ability to have looser, more natural looking curls.