Drinking a certain volume of water daily, depending on your weight, can do wonders for your body and skin. Some of you add a lemon to your water when you’re out at a restaurant, but do you know the benefits of drinking lemon water?
When you add lemon to your water it adds vitamin C, which has numerous health benefits. Vitamin C is essential for normal growth and development. A single lemon contains around 30-40 mg. of vitamin C in comparison to an orange which contains around 80-90 mg.
Vitamin C has been studied extensively and shown to have a myriad of health benefits, protecting against: prenatal problems, cardiovascular disease, eye diseases, skin wrinkles, and immune system deficiencies.
Putting lemon in your water brings your water, eventually, to an alkaline state. Water, for the most part, has a neutral PH of about 7.0, which means it is neither basic (alkaline) nor acidic. Anything above 7.0 is considered alkaline. The alkalinity of water is a measure of its ability to neutralize acids. A fresh lemon added to your drinking water will also make your purified drinking water more alkaline. Though it seems counter-intuitive to think that adding an acidic lemon to your purified drinking water could ultimately produce an alkaline result, it’s important to remember that fresh lemons are also anionic. Once you drink the acidic lemon water, it will become alkaline as your body reacts with the lemons’ anions during the digestive process. Use fresh lemons that haven’t been exposed to air for more than 30 minutes; do not use lemon juice that you can buy in a container from the store.
Vitamin C keeps you healthy and fit in five important ways:
- Helps treat common cold symptoms. Although there is no proof vitamin C can prevent cold, studies do show that vitamin C can reduce the severity of cold symptoms and the duration of the cold. Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine; it reduces the levels of histamine.
- Can be a natural cure for skin problems. Vitamin C is used to treat a lot of skin related problems. It is now used in moisturizers and masks for a natural glow to the skin.
- Regulates sugar levels in diabetics. Diabetics can definitely benefit from foods containing vitamin C. It helps regulate blood sugar levels.
- Improves asthma symptoms. Vitamin C, being an antioxidant and antihistamine, improves the function of the lungs and airways.
- Helps reduce arthritis symptoms. Arthritis is caused by the collapse of cellular process the help in the production maintenance and repair of cartilaginous tissues. Since Vitamin C is required for collagen production, it helps to reduce pain, inflammation, and swelling of joints in people with arthritis.